Using these materials, you will create and format documents, utilize styles, insert images and lists, work with headers and footers, and create a PDF. We'll also cover how to organize information using tabs, sorting, and tables -- and we'll discuss how to address accessibility concerns.
- Format text
- Format a document
- Utilize basic tabs
- Insert headers & footers
- Work with bulleted and numbered lists
- Create tables
- Check for accessibility issues
- Work with spelling and grammar check
- Save as a PDF
- Print a document
- Perform basic actions with the keyboard and mouse
- Work with windows, menus, dialog boxes, and the Ribbon
For a more in-depth look at the content of Word: The Basics, view the title contents below.
Important note for participants not affiliated with IU
- This course contains training material only.
- Participants who are not affiliated with Indiana University will need your own access to installed and licensed software, according to the training topic. This will allow you to follow along and participate in the hands-on exercises.
- If you do not have access to the needed software, you can still enroll in the online course and read the course content.
More information about this course
This online course is free to everyone and available for enrollment through IU Expand.
This course consists of a series of short lessons, examples, demonstrations, practice quizzes, and hands-on exercises.
To complete the course content, you will need:
- a web browser and internet access to use the course material on IU Expand.
- a copy of the software relevant to the training installed on your computer.
Expand the accordion folds to see a detailed description of the content.
Explore the contents of Word: The Basics:
Explore the Word interface.
Open existing documents, turn on formatting marks, select text, and copy text between documents.
Explore ways to format your document.
Apply styles to text and explore how to select text that has similar formatting.
Explore various ways to check and correct spelling and grammar errors.
Explore the find and replace options in Word.
Add margins and indents to the text and use the ruler to adjust indents. Hanging indents are also covered.
Insert an image into the document, add alternative text to the image, and see how to add the alternative text button to the Quick Access toolbar.
Use the ruler and tab stops to organize information.
Explore ways to sort information.
Convert text into a table then format and add alternative text to the table.
Learn how to organize information using bulleted and numbered lists.
See how to create a header that contains the date of the most recent revision and a footer that contains page numbers.
Learn about page breaks and insert a forced page break.
Explore some of the print options in Word.
See how to save a Word document as a PDF file.