- Add, rearrange, and delete slides
- Import slides from another presentation into a slide show
- Apply layouts, themes, and QuickStyles
- Work with text, bullets, images, and video
- Apply simple animations and transitions
- Create presentations that are accessible for individuals with disabilities
- Create audience and presenter handouts
- Rehearse and deliver a presentation
- Package a presentation for use on other computers
- Use a mouse
- Work with windows, menus, dialog boxes, and the Ribbon
For a more in-depth look at the content of PowerPoint: The Basics, view the title contents below.
Important note for participants not affiliated with IU
- This course contains training material only.
- Participants who are not affiliated with Indiana University will need your own access to installed and licensed software, according to the training topic. This will allow you to follow along and participate in the hands-on exercises.
- If you do not have access to the needed software, you can still enroll in the online course and read the course content.
More information about this course
This online course is free to everyone and available for enrollment through IU Expand.
This course consists of a series of short lessons, examples, demonstrations, practice quizzes, and hands-on exercises.
To complete the course content, you will need:
- a web browser and internet access to use the course material on IU Expand.
- a copy of the software relevant to the training installed on your computer.
PowerPoint: The Basics Contents
Expand the accordion folds to see a detailed description of the content.
Explore the contents of PowerPoint: The Basics:
Explore the PowerPoint interface.
Learn how to add content and speaker notes to a blank presentation.
Explore how to add previously created slides to the presentation.
Use a theme to add color and design elements to the presentation.
Modify the size and color of text using both the Ribbon and the Mini toolbar.
Explore how to add an image to a slide, add alternative text to the image, and check the reading order of the slide.
Learn several ways to format images including adding a picture style, recoloring an image, setting transparent color, and removing the background from an image.
See how to link a video to a slide.
Use the Shapes gallery to add a callout to a slide, then add alternative text to the callout.
Learn how to add a hyperlink to a slide.
Create and format a table. Add text, alternative text, and a table style.
Work with the ruler and tab markers to organize text, then see how to to customize bullets and apply a Quick Style.
Explore how to apply and modify animations and transitions.
Learn about the different views in PowerPoint.
Add slide numbers to the bottom of the slides.
Explore how to add slide timings both manually and automatically, then see how to rehearse a presentation, create speaker notes, and save audience handouts as a PDF.
Learn about the tools available when delivering a presentation including navigation techniques and annotation tools.
Run the Accessibility Checker to find possible accessibility issues.
Learn how to package a presentation for storage or for delivery on another computer.