In this course, you'll learn the basics of Adobe Photoshop, the premiere image editing application. As part of the course, you'll learn how to perform basic photo retouching tasks while exploring the Photoshop interface and becoming more familiar with the program. You'll also work on a more complex photo compositing project, and learn about layers, selections, healing tools, and image adjustments.
- Navigate the Photoshop interface
- Perform basic photo retouching tasks
- Understand how to work with layers
- Use effects and filters
- Combine two separate images into one
- Understand image resolution and file output for print and web graphics
- Basic computer skills, including how to use a keyboard and mouse
For a more in-depth look at the content of Photoshop: The Basics, view the title contents below.
Important note for participants not affiliated with IU
- This course contains training material only.
- Participants who are not affiliated with Indiana University will need your own access to installed and licensed software, according to the training topic. This will allow you to follow along and participate in the hands-on exercises.
- If you do not have access to the needed software, you can still enroll in the online course and read the course content.
More information about this course
This online course is free to everyone and available for enrollment through IU Expand.
This course consists of a series of short lessons, examples, demonstrations, practice quizzes, and hands-on exercises.
To complete the course content, you will need:
- a web browser and internet access to use the course material on IU Expand.
- a copy of the software relevant to the training installed on your computer.
Photoshop: The Basics Contents
Expand the accordion folds to see a detailed description of the content.
Explore the contents of Photoshop: The Basics:
Explore the Photoshop interface.
Learn the basics of using the Crop tool.
Explore how to use the healing tools in Photoshop to remove unwanted objects from a photo.
Explore how to use adjustments to change the lighting in an image, and gain a deeper understanding of the difference between destructive and non-destructive edits.
Learn more about how to work with layers and layer blend modes.
Learn how to apply a filter to a photograph.
Explore how to add text to an image in Photoshop, as well as how to work with layer effects to apply additional styling to text.
Practice your image retouching skills by preparing two photos to be combined into a composite photo.
Explore how to use the Quick Selection tool and Quick Mask mode to build a precise selection in an image, and mask parts of an image you want to hide.
Place an image into an existing Photoshop document and perform basic adjustments to the placed image in this section.
Learn how to create a reflection using a combination of new layers, transparency effects, and filters.
In this section, learn more about image resolution and how it's affected by what you'll be using your image for. Additionally, you'll learn more about how to save images for both print and web use.