These materials will show you how to get the most out of your Outlook calendar, from making appointments and scheduling meetings to color-coding your calendar and creating a group. We'll also cover sharing calendars, working with time zones, adding recurring events, and creating a personal calendar.
- Use calendar views
- Create appointments and meetings
- Add all-day and recurring events
- Work with other users’ schedules
- Create a calendar group
- Work with calendar options
- Work with time zones
- Work with Categories
- Share calendars with others
- Add a new calendar for personal use
- Work with the Outlook interface
- Compose, format, reply to, and forward email messages
- Use IU's global address list
For a more in-depth look at the content of Outlook: Calendar Essentials, view the title contents below.
Important note for participants not affiliated with IU
- This course contains training material only.
- Participants who are not affiliated with Indiana University will need your own access to installed and licensed software, according to the training topic. This will allow you to follow along and participate in the hands-on exercises.
- If you do not have access to the needed software, you can still enroll in the online course and read the course content.
More information about this course
This online course is free to everyone and available for enrollment through IU Expand.
This course consists of a series of short lessons, examples, demonstrations, practice quizzes, and hands-on exercises.
To complete the course content, you will need:
- a web browser and internet access to use the course material on IU Expand.
- a copy of the software relevant to the training installed on your computer.
Outlook: Calendar Essentials Contents
Expand the accordion folds to see a detailed description of the content.
Explore the contents of Outlook: Calendar Essentials:
Learn about the Outlook Calendar Essentials course.
Use a combination of hands-on exercises and video to learn about different types of calendar entries, reminders, the Show Time As field, and various ways to create an appointment.
Use video content to see how to schedule and modify all-day and recurring events.
Explore various ways to work with other people's schedules, including viewing free and busy times and viewing non-consecutive days.
See how to create and use a calendar group, how to invite non-exchange users to a meeting, and how to selected required and optional meeting attendees.
Watch a video about various ways to accept a meeting request.
Explore various Outlook options, including default work time and default reminders, in this video.
Watch a video demonstration about how to add a time zone and schedule meetings in different time zones.
Explore how to categorize calendar items.
Explore how to assign calendar permissions and how to open another person's calendar.
See how to assign delegate calendar permissions.
Learn how to create a second, personal calendar in Outlook while watching this video.
See how to remove the appointments and calendar group that were created during this course and return Outlook to its previous setup.