Learn the basics of Adobe InDesign with these materials. During the course of this training, we'll construct a basic two-page newsletter, and in the process gain familiarity with InDesign's interface and many of the tools commonly used to design a publication. We'll also learn some layout terminology, and basic design principles as well.
- Apply basic principles of layout and design
- Create a new publication
- Create, edit, and apply styles to format text
- Work with text and graphic frames
- Import and place external graphics
- Ability to use word processing features
- Knowledge of how to apply text styles
- Familiarity with Adobe tools and panels
- Proficiency with refined mousing tasks
For a more in-depth look at the content of InDesign: The Basics, view the title contents below.
Important note for participants not affiliated with IU
- This course contains training material only.
- Participants who are not affiliated with Indiana University will need your own access to installed and licensed software, according to the training topic. This will allow you to follow along and participate in the hands-on exercises.
- If you do not have access to the needed software, you can still enroll in the online course and read the course content.
More information about this course
This online course is free to everyone and available for enrollment through IU Expand.
This course consists of a series of short lessons, examples, demonstrations, practice quizzes, and hands-on exercises.
To complete the course content, you will need:
- a web browser and internet access to use the course material on IU Expand.
- a copy of the software relevant to the training installed on your computer.
Expand the accordion folds to see a detailed description of the content.
Explore the contents of InDesign: The Basics:
Explore basic page design concepts, as well as learn about the newsletter project that will be worked on as part of this title.
Get familiar with the InDesign interface, and learn about frequently used tools.
Learn about the basics of creating a new document in InDesign, and also learn how to set up the InDesign workspace with rulers and grids.
Learn more about typography, and gain experience working with the type tool.
Add pages to an InDesign document, and learn how to import and flow text.
Use the Rectangle Frame Tool to add additional text frames to a page, and work with text wrap options in this section.
Add additional text frames to a page, and add a stroke to a frame.
Learn how to create and use paragraph styles.
Explore how to update an existing paragraph style, and learn about other options for formatting text.
Explore how to add graphics to an InDesign document.
Work with the Story Editor to edit text in a document, and add finishing touches to the newsletter.
Explore how to open InDesign CC 2017 documents in older versions of InDesign.