This is a beginner training on how to read and write the web languages HTML and CSS to structure and style a web page from scratch.
HTML5 and CSS: The Basics
- Structure text and image content for the web using HTML5
- Learn semantic markup new to the HTML standard
- Style a web page using Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
- Create hyperlinks to link to other pages
- Learn the box model for basic layout
- Make web pages accessible and well-formed
- Create a well-formed XML document
- Validate an XML document
Enroll in the online course
Follow the appropriate enrollment method below, depending on your IU status.
IU faculty, staff, and students
Join using the self-enroll feature of Canvas (requires IU username and passphrase).Enroll in HTML5 and CSS: The Basics (IU: No cost)
Join via IU Expand at a low cost (requires an IU Guest account, a free sign-up for anyone).Enroll in HTML5 and CSS: The Basics (Non-IU: $16.99)
This course is part of an IT Training Certificate Series, which awards a certificate on successful completion of a final online exam. Learn more about the Web Creation Certificate Series.
Materials and Files
For IU learners, if you're interested in this content, but prefer not to enroll in the online course, you can download the PDF and exercise files below.
Note: The PDF and exercise files provided here formed a basis for the online course, but may vary from the online course.