Take this training to develop the skills for creating effective and accurate charts. You will design various types of charts, apply elements and formats, and create chart templates. We'll also cover different ways to incorporate Excel charts into PowerPoint slides.
- Understand charting terminology
- Select appropriate chart types for a specific set of data
- Create basic chart types, including column, pie, line, XY Scatter, and bar charts
- Add a trendline and equation to the XY Scatter chart
- Apply custom formats to charts and chart elements
- Save and apply a chart template
- Apply themes to charts
- Insert Excel charts into a PowerPoint presentation
- Comfort using Excel
- Enter text and numbers into a worksheet
- Perform calculations with formulas and functions
- Format cells and worksheets
- Select ranges of data
For a more in-depth look at the content of Excel: Charts and Graphics, view the title contents below.
Important note for participants not affiliated with IU
- This course contains training material only.
- Participants who are not affiliated with Indiana University will need your own access to installed and licensed software, according to the training topic. This will allow you to follow along and participate in the hands-on exercises.
- If you do not have access to the needed software, you can still enroll in the online course and read the course content.
More information about this course
This online course is free to everyone and available for enrollment through IU Expand.
This course consists of a series of short lessons, examples, demonstrations, practice quizzes, and hands-on exercises.
To complete the course content, you will need:
- a web browser and internet access to use the course material on IU Expand.
- a copy of the software relevant to the training installed on your computer.
Expand the accordion folds to see a detailed description of the content.
Explore the contents of Excel: Charts and Graphics:
Learn about the different parts of a chart.
Utilize the Recommended Charts feature to create a column chart. Then modify the style, layout, and orientation of the chart.
Add alternative text to a chart.
Explore the features of a pie chart including data labels, chart titles, and the legend. Then see how to emphasize parts of the chart by "exploding" a single section or adding a secondary bar chart.
Create a line chart and then add a second data series to the chart.
Practice creating a line chart.
Explore the features of a scatter chart. Format the chart using a trendline, gridlines, and adjusting the axes.
See how to insert and modify a shape, add a text box, and apply a theme.
Create and customize a bar chart.
Customize a bar chart.
See how to duplicate a chart and create a chart template.
Explore some of the options for printing charts.
Learn about the different methods for including a chart in a PowerPoint presentation, including pasting, embedding, and linking.