Using Access’s forms and reports tools, you can design a user-friendly interface for your database. In this training, you will learn how to use those tools in-depth to create easier-to-use databases. You will also learn how to package and password protect your database so that it behaves like a stand-alone application, with only the tools users need to work with being visible.
- Create relational forms and reports
- Enhance forms with drop-down lists and command buttons
- Use design features to make forms and reports more usable and attractive
- Create a navigation form
- Clean up and package a finished database
- Create parameter queries
- Summarize data using groups, calculated expressions, and aggregate totals
- Perform mathematical and text operations in a query
For a more in-depth look at the content of Access: Designing the Database Interface, view the title contents below.
Important note for participants not affiliated with IU
- This course contains training material only.
- Participants who are not affiliated with Indiana University will need your own access to installed and licensed software, according to the training topic. This will allow you to follow along and participate in the hands-on exercises.
- If you do not have access to the needed software, you can still enroll in the online course and read the course content.
More information about this course
This online course is free to everyone and available for enrollment through IU Expand.
This course consists of a series of short lessons, examples, demonstrations, practice quizzes, and hands-on exercises.
To complete the course content, you will need:
- a web browser and internet access to use the course material on IU Expand.
- a copy of the software relevant to the training installed on your computer.
Expand the accordion folds to see a detailed description of the content.
Explore the contents of Access: Designing the Database Interface:
Get Started with Designing the Database Interface in Access.
Learn how to contemplate the design of a form based on how you will use it.
Learn how to use the Form Wizard to create a form in Access.
Learn how to modify and add records in a form.
Learn to modify the form using different views.
Learn to navigate records in a table by creating a Combo Box.
Learn how to create a Data Entry Combo Box.
Learn how to edit a subform to update data.
Learn how to enhance a form by adding a Command Button.
Explore the different views for reports in Access.
Learn how to create reports in Access by using the Report Wizard and Report Tool.
Learn how to modify reports in Layout View.
Learn how to modify reports in Design View including changing sort order, adding page breaks, and moving fields between sections.
Learn how to package an Access database including deleting unneeded objects, creating a navigation form, and changing the startup options.