Access databases are ideal tools for tracking large volumes of related information in an easy-to-use graphical format. Intended for people with little or no experience using Access, this workshop introduces database terminology and relationships concepts. Participants will create Access objects such as tables and queries as well as simple forms and reports.
- Open a database
- Create, design, and modify tables to hold data
- Enter, edit, and delete data
- Import data from an Excel spreadsheet
- Create and use select queries
- Define relationships between tables
- Create a simple relational form
- Create a simple report
- Structure data in a spreadsheet
- Navigate in a spreadsheet
- Enter and modify data
- Identify and use number and text formats
For a more in-depth look at the content of Access: The Basics, view the title contents below.
Important note for participants not affiliated with IU
- This course contains training material only.
- Participants who are not affiliated with Indiana University will need your own access to installed and licensed software, according to the training topic. This will allow you to follow along and participate in the hands-on exercises.
- If you do not have access to the needed software, you can still enroll in the online course and read the course content.
More information about this course
This online course is free to everyone and available for enrollment through IU Expand.
This course consists of a series of short lessons, examples, demonstrations, practice quizzes, and hands-on exercises.
To complete the course content, you will need:
- a web browser and internet access to use the course material on IU Expand.
- a copy of the software relevant to the training installed on your computer.
Expand the accordion folds to see a detailed description of the content.
Explore the contents of Access: The Basics:
Learn about the basics of databases, including database elements, relationships between tables, and primary and foreign keys.
Learn how to open an existing Access database and explore its features.
Learn how to import records from an Excel file and fix errors for successful import results.
Learn how to navigate through records in an Access table.
Learn how to add an Attachment field, such as an image field. in an Access table.
Learn how to create a new table in Access, with a primary key and input mask -- plus learn how to import from Excel.
Learn how to create and define database relationships in Access.
Learn how to create single-table and relational queries in Access, plus sort and filter the query results.
Learn how to create one-table and relational forms in Access and edit data using those forms.
Learn how to create simple reports in Access using the report designer and Report Wizard.