Queries enable you to retrieve, analyze, and manipulate data. Learn to create and modify queries on related tables and discover various types of queries. This training also covers advanced query functions such as aggregate totals and calculated expressions.
- Build relational queries and modify query properties
- Perform mathematical and text operations in a query
- Create parameter queries that allow you to supply criteria when run
- Summarize data using groups, calculated expressions, and aggregate totals
- Create Crosstab queries to summarize data
- Create and run Action queries to create, modify, and delete data
- Use Find Duplicates and Find Unmatched queries to locate data
- Understand database relationships
- Create one-to-many relationships
- Create simple relational queries
For a more in-depth look at the content of Access: Analyzing and Modifying Data with Queries, view the title contents below.
Important note for participants not affiliated with IU
- This course contains training material only.
- Participants who are not affiliated with Indiana University will need your own access to installed and licensed software, according to the training topic. This will allow you to follow along and participate in the hands-on exercises.
- If you do not have access to the needed software, you can still enroll in the online course and read the course content.
More information about this course
This online course is free to everyone and available for enrollment through IU Expand.
This course consists of a series of short lessons, examples, demonstrations, practice quizzes, and hands-on exercises.
To complete the course content, you will need:
- a web browser and internet access to use the course material on IU Expand.
- a copy of the software relevant to the training installed on your computer.
Access: Analyzing and Modifying Data with Queries Contents
Expand the accordion folds to see a detailed description of the content.
Explore the contents of Access: Analyzing and Modifying Data with Queries:
Open and explore the tables and relationships in an existing database.
Learn how to work with criteria in Queries including Boolean terms and wildcard characters.
Learn to use Query Operators to create expressions and concatenate data.
Learn how to create Parameter Queries where a user can enter criteria when they run the query.
Learn how to summarize data with Totals.
Learn how to create a complex, weighted calculated field.
Learn to summarize data with Crosstab Queries.
Get more practice building a Crosstab query.
Learn how to change data with Action Queries.
Learn to create a Make Table query that selects data, pulls data from a database based on certain criteria, and then saves that data into a new table.
Learn to change data with an Append Query.
Learn how to build, test, and run an effective Delete Query.
Learn how to create, test, and run an Update Query.
Clean up your data by using the Find Duplicates Query Wizard to see potentially duplicate entries.
Clean up your data by using the Find Unmatched Query Wizard to examine issues between related tables.
See the solution of the Concatenating Additional Fields exercise.
See the solution to the challenge of adding parameters to a query.
See the solution to the challenge of building another Crosstab Query.