Canvas Commons provides instructors at Indiana University access to many different valuable resources that can be imported directly into a Canvas course, to supplement existing course content. The process for importing resources from Canvas Commons is straightforward, but knowing where to start is tricky. The following steps will walk you through the process of importing content from Canvas Commons into your Canvas course. For this example, we'll walk through the process of importing Creating Research Posters into a Canvas course.
- In Canvas, navigate to the course you wish to import the module into.
- From the Home page of the course, click on the Import from Commons button on the top right side of the screen.
The Canvas Commons page will load, and now we can search for content to add. We'll be looking for the module Creating Research Posters.
- In the search bar underneath the Canvas Commons navigation, type "creating research posters". The site will bring up content that matches your search term as soon as you finish typing.
- Click on the title of
moduleyou wish to import - this will bring you to the module details page.
- In the Import Into Canvas section on the right side of the screen, click the checkbox for the course(s) you want to import the module into, then click the Import into Course button.
- A confirmation message will appear at the top of the module details window, and the module will be imported into your Canvas course - this process may take several minutes. When the module appears, it will appear in the Modules section of your course.
Once the content is in your course, you can adjust where it appears in your course content and customize the contents of pages in the module to meet your course's needs.
Changing Module Requirements
IT Training's course modules currently don't have any requirements set. You may want to change the module requirements to require students to view all pages in a course, or remove the requirements entirely if you'd like to remove any you've previously set. The following sections outline how to change or remove the module requirements for one of IT Training's course modules.