This course will introduce Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets users to the VLOOKUP function. Learn how to use VLOOKUP to search for data across individual and multiple worksheets, how to use multiple VLOOKUP functions at the same time, and how to use absolute cell references and named ranges with the VLOOKUP function.
- Use the VLOOKUP function to find exact data
- Use the VLOOKUP function to find approximate data
- Use the VLOOKUP function across worksheets
- Use an absolute reference in a VLOOKUP function
- Use formulas and functions
- Create and use absolute cell references
- Create and use named ranges
Important note for participants not affiliated with IU
- This course contains training material only.
- Participants who are not affiliated with Indiana University will need your own access to installed and licensed software, according to the training topic. This will allow you to follow along and participate in the hands-on exercises.
- If you do not have access to the needed software, you can still enroll in the online course and read the course content.
More information about this course
This online course is free to everyone and available for enrollment through IU Expand.
This course consists of a series of short lessons, examples, demonstrations, practice quizzes, and hands-on exercises.
To complete the course content, you will need:
- a web browser and internet access to use the course material on IU Expand.
- a copy of the software relevant to the training installed on your computer.
Spreadsheets: Using the VLOOKUP function Contents
Expand the accordion folds to see a detailed description of the content.
Explore the contents of Spreadsheets: Using the VLOOKUP function:
Explore the VLOOKUP function in both Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets.
Use the VLOOKUP function to find an exact match.
See how to use more than one VLOOKUP function in a worksheet.
Learn how to enter the VLOOKUP function using references from other worksheets.
See how to use the VLOOKUP function to find an approximate, or closest without going over, match.
Explore using absolute cell references in a VLOOKUP function.
See how to use a named range in a VLOOKUP function.
Practice your VLOOKUP skills with additional exercise files.