Google Docs is a collaborative word processing program that can be used on many types of devices and by multiple users. Complete this course to learn how to edit and format a Google Doc including inserting graphic elements and page numbers. In addition, explore how to use styles to format text and create a table of contents. Printing and saving a document as a Microsoft Word file are also discussed.
- Edit and format a Google Doc
- Use styles to format text and to create a table of contents
- Insert an image, a table, and a header
- Align text
- Print a document
- Download a document as another file type
- Use a keyboard and mouse
- Work with an internet browser
- Open and save files
- Edit text
Important note for participants not affiliated with IU
- This course contains training material only.
- Participants who are not affiliated with Indiana University will need your own access to installed and licensed software, according to the training topic. This will allow you to follow along and participate in the hands-on exercises.
- If you do not have access to the needed software, you can still enroll in the online course and read the course content.
More information about this course
This online course is free to everyone and available for enrollment through IU Expand.
This course consists of a series of short lessons, examples, demonstrations, practice quizzes, and hands-on exercises.
To complete the course content, you will need:
- a web browser and internet access to use the course material on IU Expand.
- a copy of the software relevant to the training installed on your computer.
Expand the accordion folds to see a detailed description of the content.
Explore the contents of Google Docs: The Basics:
Open Google docs and become familiar with the workspace.
Learn how to modify the font and the line spacing.
See how to use styles to format and organize a document.
Work with spellcheck and grammar tools.
See how to find and replace text in a document.
Work with margins and indents.
See how to use tabs to align and organize data.
See how to add bullets and numbers to a list.
Explore how to use a table to anchor an image to the corresponding text.
Learn how to enter a forced page break.
Explore how to add a header to the document then add page numbers to the footer.
Explore how to use styles to create a table of contents.
See how to insert and adjust an image as well as add alternative text to an image.
See how to view document details such as word count, page count, and character count.
See how to change the print options as well as preview a document before it is printed.
Provide a description of the content in this section.
See how to use a table to anchor an image to the corresponding text.