Complete this course to learn how to apply data validation, split and concatenate cell contents, work with data across worksheets, import data, remove duplicate values, and copy visible data. In addition, special cell formats and dates are discussed.
- Improve data entry with data validation
- Use the CONCAT function
- Split cell contents
- Utilize special cell formats
- Work with dates
- Open external data sources
- Work with data across worksheets
- Copy visible data
- Remove duplicate data
- Navigate Microsoft Excel
- Enter data into a spreadsheet
- Use formulas and functions
For a more in-depth look at the content of Excel: Working with Non-Numeric Data, view the title contents below.
Important note for participants not affiliated with IU
- This course contains training material only.
- Participants who are not affiliated with Indiana University will need your own access to installed and licensed software, according to the training topic. This will allow you to follow along and participate in the hands-on exercises.
- If you do not have access to the needed software, you can still enroll in the online course and read the course content.
More information about this course
This online course is free to everyone and available for enrollment through IU Expand.
This course consists of a series of short lessons, examples, demonstrations, practice quizzes, and hands-on exercises.
To complete the course content, you will need:
- a web browser and internet access to use the course material on IU Expand.
- a copy of the software relevant to the training installed on your computer.
Excel: Working with Non-Numeric Data Contents
Expand the accordion folds to see a detailed description of the content.
Explore the contents of Excel: Working with Non-Numeric Data:
Learn about and create a data validation rule.
Combine two columns into a single column.
Separate data in a single column to multiple columns.
See how to apply specialized cell formattings such as zip codes and custom number formats.
Explore ways to work with dates in Excel.
See how to bring external data into Excel.
See how to move and copy worksheets, rearrange worksheet tabs, and use data from another worksheet.
See how to copy and paste only visible data.
Remove duplicate data and see the remaining unique values.