Generally, attendees simply need to visit the URL of the event, log in or enter a name, and adjust volume settings as necessary. However, we recommend that if you are attending an online event with us for the first time or on an unfamiliar computer, you review this information to test and optimize your setup at least one day before the event.
Need immediate help? View contact information for support with Zoom.
Hardware and software requirements
In order to attend, you will need:
- (Required) A computer with:
- Internet connection
- A web browser
- (Required for workshops) Software to use during the workshop; use the same software version as the version listed in your workshop materials.
- (Recommended for workshops) Dual monitors
- (Optional for workshops) A computer headset with microphone or a VOIP (Voice Over IP) phone, if you would like to be able to speak during the workshop. Permission to speak over your mic can be granted by a meeting presenter, upon request. Note: Text chat is available to everyone throughout all IT Training events.
Testing in advance of your event
If you have not already, download and launch Zoom:
To test joining a meeting and configure your audio:
- In a web browser, visit the IT Training Test Room in Zoom.
- Follow your browser's prompts to launch Zoom.
- In the resulting pop-up, click Test Computer Audio. The Settings pop-up will open.
- Select the appropriate speaker and mic from the available dropdowns, and test the configuration using the provided tools.
- Once your speaker and mic are configured successfully, close the Settings pop-up window and meeting pop-up window. Click Leave Meeting to exit completely.
For additional help, visit the Getting Started section of Zoom's Help Center.
Attending your event
To log in for your event:
- Visit the URL for your event 10 to 15 minutes before the event begins to allow time for troubleshooting, if necessary.
- Follow the prompts to download (if needed) and launch Zoom.
- When prompted for your name, type your first name and last initial. (This helps us ensure accurate attendance records.) You might also be required to enter an email address.
- Once you have joined the room, configure your audio using the Audio Setting button in the upper left, or using the microphone options on the lower left (depending on the type of event).
*Computer and device notes:
- Compatible computers: Windows, Macintosh, or Linux
- Compatible browsers: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, or Safari
- Mobile apps are available for many iOS and Android devices, however, we recommend attending from mobile devices as an option for webinars only—not for hands-on workshops