In this training, we'll learn the basics of Adobe Photoshop, the premiere image editing application. We'll learn how to retouch a photo while exploring the Photoshop interface and becoming more familiar with the program. We'll also work on a more complex photo compositing project, and learn about layers, selections, healing tools, and image adjustments.
- Understand the Photoshop interface
- Retouch and blend two images
- Understand layers
- Use effects and filters
- Use the History Panel
- Save a file for the web
- Use basic healing tools
- Basic computer skills, including how to use a keyboard and mouse
For a more in-depth look at the content of Photoshop: The Basics, view the title contents below.
Important note for participants not affiliated with IU
- This course contains training material only.
- Participants who are not affiliated with Indiana University will need your own access to installed and licensed software, according to the training topic. This will allow you to follow along and participate in the hands-on exercises.
- If you do not have access to the needed software, you can still enroll in the online course and read the course content.
More information about this course
This online course is free to everyone and available for enrollment through IU Expand.
This course consists of a series of short lessons, examples, demonstrations, practice quizzes, and hands-on exercises.
To complete the course content, you will need:
- a web browser and internet access to use the course material on IU Expand.
- a copy of the software relevant to the training installed on your computer.
Expand the accordion folds to see a detailed description of the content.
Explore the contents of Photoshop: The Basics:
Learn about the Photoshop interface and how to work with some basic tools.
Learn basic techniques for retouching an image, such as using the Spot Healing Brush Tool and the Red Eye tool.
Explore how to use the History panel, and how to change its settings.
Use the Levels adjustment to change the lighting in an image.
Explore issues relating to image resolution, and learn how to change the resolution of an image.
Prepare a photo for the compositing process.
Learn an additional way of working with the Levels adjustment and work with the Vibrance adjustment while retouching an image.
Work with the Quick Selection tool and Quick Mask mode to select part of an image.
Place an image into an existing Photoshop document and perform basic adjustments to the placed image in this section.
Learn how to create a reflection using a combination of effects, new layers, and transparency adjustments.
Explore how to add and edit filters.
Add text to an image and adjust its appearance.
Add a border to an image as a finishing touch in this section.