In this training, we'll be taking a two-page newsletter previously created in InDesign and expanding it to a four-page document. In the process we'll gain experience in working with page masters, which are underlying templates for document pages. We'll also work with advanced tools and features of InDesign, and learn how to prepare and package a publication for printing.
- Configure and apply page masters
- Create headers and footers
- Create automatic “continued on” segments
- Thread a story with in and out ports
- Copy and paste with the Content Collector and Content Placer tools
- Modify a frame and content independently
- Resolve missing links and fonts
- Package a publication for sending
- Export in Portable Document Format (PDF)
- Experience with using Adobe tools and panels
- Experience creating and modifying frames
- Experience applying styles to text
- Experience with importing and placing graphics
For a more in-depth look at the content of InDesign: Using Page Masters for Efficient Design, view the title contents below.
Important note for participants not affiliated with IU
- This course contains training material only.
- Participants who are not affiliated with Indiana University will need your own access to installed and licensed software, according to the training topic. This will allow you to follow along and participate in the hands-on exercises.
- If you do not have access to the needed software, you can still enroll in the online course and read the course content.
More information about this course
This online course is free to everyone and available for enrollment through IU Expand.
This course consists of a series of short lessons, examples, demonstrations, practice quizzes, and hands-on exercises.
To complete the course content, you will need:
- a web browser and internet access to use the course material on IU Expand.
- a copy of the software relevant to the training installed on your computer.
Expand the accordion folds to see a detailed description of the content.
Explore the contents of InDesign: Using Page Masters for Efficient Design:
Learn more about the newsletter project this title focuses on.
Explore basic concepts surrounding page masters.
Learn how to create and apply a page master.
Create a page master with a header and automatically updating page numbers.
Edit an existing page master by adding color to text and placing an InDesign file into a page.
Adjust the flow of text in a document, and create "continued on/from" jump lines.
Use the Content Collector and Content Placer to take content from one InDesign document to another.
Learn how to adjust an image's frame, and how to override objects on a page master.
Prepare a publication for printing by preflighting and packaging it.
Export an InDesign document as a high quality print PDF.