Learn the basics of Adobe InDesign with these materials. During the course of this training, we'll construct a basic two-page newsletter, and in the process gain familiarity with InDesign's interface and many of the tools commonly used to design a publication. We'll also learn some layout terminology, and basic design principles as well.
InDesign: The Basics
- Apply basic principles of layout and design
- Create a new publication
- Create, edit, and apply styles to format text
- Work with text and graphic frames
- Import and place external graphics
- Ability to use word processing features
- Knowledge of how to apply text styles
- Familiarity with Adobe tools and panels
- Proficiency with refined mousing tasks
Enroll in the online course
Follow the appropriate enrollment method below, depending on your IU status.
IU faculty, staff, and students
Join using the self-enroll feature of Canvas (requires IU username and passphrase).Enroll in InDesign: The Basics (IU: No cost)
Join via IU Expand at a low cost (requires an IU Guest account, a free sign-up for anyone).Enroll in InDesign: The Basics (Non-IU: $9.99)
This course is part of an IT Training Certificate Series, which awards a certificate on successful completion of a final online exam. Learn more about the Media Design Certificate Series.
Materials and Files
For IU learners, if you're interested in the content for this title, but prefer not to enroll in the online course, you can download the PDF and exercise files below.
Note: The PDF and exercise files provided here formed a basis for the online course, but may vary from the online course.